Sunday 4 October 2015

Where Am I at Proffesionally? PIDP 3260

I'm presently in my sixth year as an full-time adult educator. Prior to my full-time teaching career I taught part-time for hair product companies, as well I acted as an in house educator in my own salon.  Since joining the Faculty of Hair Design at VCC I have been actively working on my Provincial Instructors Diploma.

As I have nearly completed the PID Program I'm currently in the process of applying to do my Masters Of Education at Simon Fraser University. This graduate program will focus on current issues, practices, theories, and policies in curriculum and instruction. The graduate program is two years in length and part-time. This will enable me to continue teaching while I'm studying. This program was designed specifically for those who work in the realm of post-secondary education. Upon completing my M.Ed I will focus on upgrading my current hairdressing skills. I do fear that focusing my time on the academic side of things could lead to skill erosion. In order to be effective as an instructor of a trade I believe you must have excellent and relevant skills that reflect current practices in the industry.

In the future, I would like to take some workshops in the following areas: Conflict Resolution, Cultural Sensitivity, and Educational Leadership. Although, I thoroughly enjoy educating and sharing my experience in the hair design program I have further aspirations. I hope to one day try my hand at being a Department Head, and possibly the role of Dean. But for now I'm very content to teach hairdressing and work on my M.Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment