Sunday 25 October 2015

The Importance of Lifelong Learning:


Many times in my life I have taken courses or seminars only to encounter an instructor who seemed out of touch with what is going on in the real world. I remember one such course where even the instructor seemed bored and unengaged with the lesson he was presenting.  It is absolutely essential that educators stay up to date with current teaching styles/concepts and technology. Furthermore, instructors that teach trades should go back out into their industry to work periodically.  This will aid in keeping the instructor abreast with current trends and skills in their field. When instructors spend years in the classroom they can lose sight of what is really going on in the industry and become an educator with no relevance to the real world.

Fortunately many schools, colleges, and universities encourage faculty to develop themselves by offering release time as well as funds for higher learning. Nowadays a common way of thinking is the idea that we are “lifelong learners”, a concept many instructors instill in their students.  It seem only fitting the educators would also be lifelong learners.  I’m a firm believer that life itself is one big learning lesson and that we do not stop learning until we pass on. Today’s learners do a great deal of research before and during a course, they know their stuff and they know what they want to learn. In order for an instructor to be able to provide their learners with a meaningful experience, an instructor must remain up to date with area in which they teach.

As an instructor I believe in taking courses regularly and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Recently, I applied to do my Masters of Education, a graduate program that will largely focus on curriculum and instructional strategies. In addition, I work out in the field one day a week so I can prevent skill erosion and share industry trends with my students. What do you do to keep learning and remain current?

No comments:

Post a Comment