Sunday 25 October 2015

Reflecting on Chapter One: Experiencing Teaching from The Skillful Teacher By Stephen D. Brookfiel



As I’ve mentioned previously, I simply adored The Skillful Teacher by Stephen D. Brookfield.  The book provides a lot of perspective and teaching concepts but most importantly they were supported by the authors personal teaching experiences.  While I enjoyed the entire book I’d have to say Chapter one grabbed me and reeled me in.  I was hooked on this book from the first chapter forward.

Chapter one filled me with a sense of relief, as I was not the only instructor who felt like an imposter as they fumbled through their first days as an educator.  As an instructor we are assumed to be an expert who can present a lesson with enthusiasm while pleasing the audience and keeping them all engaged. To be a clumsy amateur incapable of gaining the classes attention or respect is simply not welcomed. Yet, when we first start teaching or presenting a new course for the first time it is quite common for things to not be seamless, or one of our best performances.  Chapter one helped me to realize I was not alone in my early teaching career with feelings of anxiety and shortcomings.

Additionally, chapter one firmly reminds us that as educators we can never possibly be ready for everything that transpires in today’s classroom. What may work or be of use to one type of student will be completely irrelevant to another.  Stephen D. Brookfield (2015) states, “ It seems to me that classrooms can be thought of as arenas of confusion where teachers are struggling gladiators of ambiguity. Just when we think we have anticipated every eventuality, something unexpected happens that elicits new responses and causes us to question our assumptions of good practice”. (p-7). To me this was a powerful and accurate statement that defines the daily struggle we can face as instructors in the ever-changing classroom environment.

Now that I’ve nearly completed PIDP 3260 and have finished all the other program courses I can safely say this book was my favorite. I will definitely be keeping it on my office bookshelf.

References

Brookfield, S. (2015). The skillful teacher: on technique, trust, and responsiveness in the classroom (3rd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers

No comments:

Post a Comment