Sunday 13 September 2015

Christopher Emdin: Teach teachers how to create magic

While reading the Skillful Teacher by Stephen D. Brookfield I was grabbed by statement he referred to as one of the "important truths" of teaching.  Brookfield (2015) states, "I will always feel like an impostor and will never lose the sense of amazement I feel when people treat me as if I have something valuable to offer", (p.9). When I read this I instantly thought to myself. This is exactly how often feel after a really good afternoon in the classroom. I believe a good teacher should be engaging, demonstrate the relevance of the course material, and deliver their lessons in a student centered manor. Basically, as educators are required to be wizards of the educational realm. It is essential we create magic in the four walls of our classrooms. While watching my daily dose of Ted Talks, I stumbled across this thought provoking talk from Christopher Emdin. He to believes teachers must learn to create magic. A magical experience in the classroom almost always creates valuable lessons that make a lasting impression with learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment