Sunday 22 March 2015

To Tweet or Not To Tweet?

More often than not today's students likely have Twitter installed on their smartphone. Tweeting has become a major form of communicating and sharing knowledge. I personally tweet with people who fit into various areas of my professional and personal life. There is endless ways we can use Twitter with the students in our class and beyond. As a Hair Design Instructor I typically have visual learners who have an appetite for beautiful images, latest trends, and how-to article or videos. One of the first things I encourage my learners to do is join Twitter, then I help them find top stylists, product companies, and other hair education entities to follow. At the same time I ask them to follow myself and their classmates. I ask my students to retweet things they found that are of interest to our field as well as send me direct tweets with links that are highly of interest to them. I often take  the tweets from my students in to consideration when I'm looking for additional techniques or trendy hair techniques that they feel are relevant to learn. Many times I have determined what is missing from my course offerings and where I need to update course objectives/outcomes by simply reviewing my students social media activity. I have provided two links below that I recently shared with a few colleagues, both these links are full of  ways and reasons to use Twitter in the classroom. I personally am so inspired to go a little deep into the Twitterverse with my class this coming year.
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/50-ways-to-use-twitter-in-the-college-classroom/

https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/60-inspiring-examples-of-twitter-in-the-classroom

The Chronicle of Higher Education today quotes a university professor on using Twitter to interact with his students,”It was the single thing that changed the classroom dynamics more than anything I’ve ever done teaching,” Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment