Sunday 29 March 2015

Are Traditonal Lectures Dead?

Personally I love to give lectures! I feel I'm good at it, I have lots to share, I'm funny, and gosh darn it people like me! But really it isn't about me! Students need to play an active role in their learning, I believe in student centered learning. Lectures seem to bore many to tears,  thus we must make them interactive, involving technology and student participation. Here is a recent journal entry I wrote for the 3240 Media Enhanced Learning course I'm taking at VCC.


Journal Two: Are Traditional Lectures Dead?

Objective:
            In this day and age we are all wired and wirelessly connected to an endless matrix of knowledge that we can access at anytime, a time appropriate for our schedules. Bowen, J.A (2012), p.187, states “The widespread availability of Web-based content means that those hours could be better spent improving learning rather then reinventing mediocre or even great lectures”.  Today’s learners have many roles and responsibilities, as educators we must make in class time as engaging and productive as possible. Ambikairajah, E., Epps, J., Sheng, M., & Celler, B. (2008) p.152, maintain “ studies have shown that students prefer to study in their own time, when they are less fatigued, rather then attending regular structured classes”. We now know that students expect a lot out of a class is they are going to take the time to attend a real time lecture, therefore a traditional old fashioned lecture will likely not make the grade.
Reflective:
            I would be a liar if I said I have not given a theory lecture that created a room filled with bored, unengaged, learners that seemed to be drifting elsewhere. According to a study of 211 university students reviewed by Mann, S., & Robinson, A. (2009), p.243, “Results reveal that 59% of students find their lectures boring half the time and 30% find most all of their lectures to be boring. The consequences of being bored included students missing future lectures and there was also a significant association between level of boredom and grade point average”. When I reflect on the research I have done and the learners in my own classroom it is clear to me a traditional lecture on its own is not enough. I have been teaching for five years, within the first year I soon understood standing and delivering in the conventional sense was not reaching my audience. I immediately starting educating myself on ways to make my class engage and participate. The 3240 Media Enhanced Learning course is helping me to cultivate new ideas and draw new sources of inspiration.
Interpretive:
            The students that enroll in the hair design program in which I teach tend to be very visual and hands on learners. My students have told me I keep lectures interesting with humor, role playing, and sharing real world stories from the field. Well that is flattering I know lecturing is not the most suitable mode for many course objectives and learner, I have to keep lecture time short and relevant. Hairdressing students thrive when they are presented with live demonstrations and video presentations. This past year I started to text my student’s videos before and after lessons, I chose content that represented what we were about to learn or had just learned. While I provide live demonstrations that I feel are excellent I can not always assume all students are having a good day or are able to keep up.
 In a recent study comparing video material to live lecture Ramlogan, S., Raman, V., & Sweet, J. (2014), p.32, state, “Video has the advantage of offering media-rich audio and visual stimulation covering a wider spectrum of learning styles or preferences. Video has the ability to be forwarded, rewound, or repeatedly viewed allowing users to peruse the content within their own time at their own pace”. At the present time our department as a very old and lacking curriculum with very little technology or online presence. I find this very frustrating and feel it is a great injustice to our students. I personally hope to be involved in future curriculum development for the Hair Design Program. I visualize videos of all lectures and demonstration materials online for the students to access, many times our ESL learners cannot keep up in class, this would be so beneficial for them. Nast, A., Schäfer-Hesterberg, G., Zielke, H., Sterry, W., & Rzany, B. (2009), p.1042, studied a group of students presented with traditional learning and e-learning, “ making lectures available online and on-demand was highly welcomed by our students and has had a positive impact on the total number of students benefiting from the lectures. This indicates that the students did not view e-learning as a replacement for traditional teaching methods, but rather as a valuable addition”. I feel lectures will always have a role in the classroom but they are changing in shape, format, and accessibility. Technology is required to bring lectures to a whole new level and is vital to keep the lecture alive and well, not to mention engaging to the learner.
Decisional:
            As I reflect on the course readings and research that I have reviewed I find myself even more aware of the urgency to revamp traditional lectures and learning. The students in my classroom are frequently young, mature, and international. All three of these groups have their own learning challenges and needs, which can often be impossible to meet by a lecture or face-to-face class time alone. Even though I try to speak at a moderate pace and try to chose language that is easy to understand I still sense students in the room that are not able to follow. I spend a great deal of time after class helping those students to find clarity on a topic. I feel if our program had a better e-learning center students could be more self-directed with their learning, helping themselves to understand the course materials. Furthermore todays instructors are as busy as ever and often lack prep time or an assistant, an online supplement to a course would certainly provides some relief to the teachers workload. I can not count the times I have re-watched or referred back to videos and content for the 3240 course, it has been very valuable. In closing this exploration I conclude that lectures are still of value providing they embrace technology and create a more interactive opportunity for the learner. I see all humans as life long learners, but we are learners with limited time and attentions spans. We are obligated to ourselves as well as our learners to be relevant and intentional, nobody has valuable time to waste. Moving forward I aspire to create a classroom that is more interactive both in real time and online. In being honest with myself even I find the traditional ways of yesterday boring and disengaging. I’m very grateful for the encouragement and inspiration the 3240 Media Enhanced Learning course is providing me.



































References

Ambikairajah, E., Epps, J., Sheng, M., & Celler, B. (2008). A new mode of lecturing for self-directed learning—virtual classroom on a DVD. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1007(1), 152-161. doi:10.1063/1.2937602

Bowen, J.A (2012). Teaching naked: how moving technology out of your college  classroom will improve student learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass

Mann, S., & Robinson, A. (2009). Boredom in the lecture theatre: an investigation into the contributors, moderators and outcomes of boredom amongst university students. British Educational Research Journal, 35(2), 243-258. doi:10.1080/01411920802042911

Nast, A., Schäfer-Hesterberg, G., Zielke, H., Sterry, W., & Rzany, B. (2009). Online lectures for students in dermatology: A replacement for traditional teaching or a valuable addition?. Journal Of The European Academy Of Dermatology & Venereology, 23(9), 1039-1043. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3083.2009.03246.x

Ramlogan, S., Raman, V., & Sweet, J. (2014). A comparison of two forms of teaching instruction: video vs. live lecture for education in clinical periodontology. European Journal Of Dental Education, 18(1), 31-38. doi:10.1111/eje.12053

No comments:

Post a Comment